Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hot Pink, Black & White Cards using Canvas Embellishments

Happy Monday!  Today I thought I would share a couple cards I made last year for a specific call looking for ways to use basic supplies.  In this case the supply was CANVAS!  :)  I don't know about you, but I adore Hot Pink, black and white together (perhaps I'm still a Barbie girl at heart).  ;)

I don't generally love being messy in my crafting though and I definitely gravitate towards a cleaner look, but every once I'm inspired to combine both.  For these cards I got out some raw, plain pieces of canvas (purchased in a roll at a local craft store and then cut out small squares to dye with ink.  After experimenting I ended up using my Ranger Craft Mat with several drops of Distress Ink Reinkers and a little water and dabbing 3 or 4-inch squares of canvas in them.  I speed up the drying process with my heat gun and then cut them with some of my Sizzix originals & BIGZ dies (I also tried die-cutting and then inking which gave a more shabby chic look with frayed edges so if you lean that way I would totally give that a try).

My first card uses a couple Papertrey Ink items in my stash including their Modern Wood Mats Stamps, a sentiment from their Natural Beauties Stamp Set (from Stamp-A-Faire 2012).  I cut my canvas flower & leaves using a couple ancient small green Sizzix originals dies (they are both readily available on ebay so if you are interested they are item numbers 38-0704 and 38-0224).  Even though they're older than dirt, I still cherish these dies--They are such versatile shapes and I love that they can cut through so many extra thick materials like wood veneer, leather, corrugated sheets, felt and heavy canvas!


For my second card, I took my inking one step further and layered a Hero Arts Old Letter Writing background stamp over my canvas butterfly which I cut out using Stampin' Up's exclusive Sizzix Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die.  I then paired it with Echo Park's Be Mine papers, a sentiment from Papetrey Ink's Buttefly Dreams stamp Set and their Victorian Lace and Pinking Shears border dies.


I hope you will give this fun technique a try.  It totally takes you back to playing messy in grade school.  Just one parting tip before I go--Don't forget to take a moment to put on some rubber gloves before you start.  I didn't and my hands were stained hot pink for days.  LOL!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...