Monday, December 9, 2013

Day 13- 5 Teresa Collins Christmas cards for under $5

Welcome  to Day 13 of my Holiday Inspiration series!  

Today I have another card set that I created for Paper Crafts Magazine's challenge to create 5 cards for under $5 (more cards with this idea can be found in their November/December 2013).  For those that missed my Doodlebug cards with the same challenge, the idea was that they wanted us to create 5 cards for under $5 and the only extra "freebies" we were allowed was ink, our computers and a paper trimmer.  

This time I used Teresa Collins Christmas Cottage Collection which I also found on an awesome clearance sale after the holidays.  My papers were actually "only" 30% off, but I picked up the cutouts and matching bling at a later date for a whopping 70% off and my mini spool of American Crafts ribbon was 95% off!  Seriously, you can beat 5 cents for 4 feet of ribbon!  ;)


Once again I planned cards that used all straight lines and wouldn't need any special punches or diecuts.  I also tried to find sketches that used my cardstock cutouts to their fullest.



For my banner card, I typed the word "enjoy" on a piece of printer paper with lots of space between each letter.  I then used temporary adhesive to adhere my pennants over the top of each letter and ran it through the printer a second time. It took only a little bit of time and sure beat spending a fortune on a alphabet stamp set.  



I like how the design with the criss-crossed ribbon looks like a wrapped holiday present with gift tags for the sentiment.  Many of the sketches I used to inspire today's cards are by Viva La Verge.



For my last card, I really wanted to have a large poinsettia to mimic the little poinsettias in the patterned paper.  Since I couldn't use any dies or punches to acheive the look I wanted, I just fussy cut my own creating a template from construction paper and tracing it onto the back of the red patterned paper.  It totally brought me back to my days of an early scrapbooker when I had limited tools on hand and I gotta say it felt really good.  ;)









Here's a breakdown on how I used my $5 budget:

  • (3) 8.5x11 Sheets of Bazzill Basics Swiss Dot Cardstock- $0.25 each x 3= $0.75
  • (3) Teresa Collins Christmas Cottage Patterned Papers (Red Snowflakes, Sentiments, Tiny Flowers)- $.60 x 3= $1.80
  • (1) Teresa Collins Christmas Cottage Cardstock Cutouts- $0.60
  • (1) Teresa Collins Christmas Cottage Gems & Pearls- $1.20
  • (1) American Crafts Mini Ribbon Roll- $.05
  • Fonts: Imprint MT Shadow & Arial Narrow- FREE

Subtotal= $4.40 + $.37 Sales Tax (WA 8.4%)= $4.77 Grand Total

Once again, I definitely had enough leftover embellishments and patterned papers to create an extra card or two, but this time I ran out of cardstock for my card bases.  


If you decide try this challenge I would totally love to see your take on it.  I imagine if you made 50 cards for $50 you could even add a few tools to the mix.  ;)  Thanks so much for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...