Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Lori Whitlock Silhouette Video Tutorial using Shaped Text

I have a tutorial up today on Lori Whitlock's blog.  I'm super excited to be sharing a Silhouette technique that I've been having a lot of fun using lately on all sorts of cards and layouts:  Creating journaling and sentiments around the edge of a circle using Silhouette's print and cut features!

However when preparing for today, I realized the hard way that this print and cut technique really works best when using circles that fit within the registration marks so for those of you that have a 12x12 printer, that means your circles can be up to 10.5" wide and sadly for me (whose wide format printer recently bit the dust) that meant I was limited to a circle 7.2" wide.  I had planned a layout using a 11.5" circle which meant as hard as I was trying to find a way around it, I needed to set that aside for another day and come up with a new project that would be easier to share with all of you.


As an alternative I settled on a fun spinner style birthday card for my nephew which can double as a rainy day activity spinner (or with the addition of numbers can be a great game piece for any game a child can dream up).  I think this would also be darling for chores too (although I'm not sure children would agree).  ;)

My papers are from Lori's fun new 6x6 "That's My Boy" paper pad which she designed for Echo Park.

Without further ado, here's my video tutorial sharing how I created it:



I layered 3 of the black arrows together to give it extra stiffness and make it easier to flick for spinning.  I also enlarged the center holes a bit and made sure to not tighten my brad too tight so that it can spin freely.


To complete my card I cut a second circle for the card back, sliced off a portion of the bottom (to help it sit up straight) and scored along the top to adhere to the back of the spinner.  Before adhering them together though I decided to run it through my printer to add a quick sentiment to tie everything together.


For today's project I used the following cutting files available in Lori's shop:
I also used this same print and cut technique for a layout I previously shared HERE.  I tell ya, this could become addicting!!!  Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look.  :)

4 comments:

  1. this tutorial is awesome Mendi!! I appreciate your "flubs" because I learned a lot from them - 1. not to give up and 2. how to make things work if they don't work the first way!!
    thanks again!!
    http://teachdanz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this is soooooooo awesome and the tutorial is amazing and very well appreciated my friend!! You are SO TALENTED!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just awesome....how totally fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...